Erzurum Museum which was first founded at Double Minareted Medrese (old theological school) in 1942, moved to its new building in 1967. Its collection was put together with findings from excavations carried out at Erzurum and its environs, purchases, donations and confiscations. Today some of these items are displayed but the major part is still kept and protected in storage. The museum has two stories, with three halls for displays. Two of these halls are allocated to archaelogical and ethnographical pieces while the other is reserved for coins.

The larger part of the displayed archaeological items are the findings from tumulusus at Karaz, Pulur, Güzelova and the environs. These are followed by artifacts from Trans, Caucasian, Urartu and Classical periods. The exhibited ethnographic pieces are local costumes from the Ottoman period, jewelery, utensils, beddings, scissors, tobaco boxes and the like.

The displayed coins made from gold, silver and bronze belong to various periods (Abbasi, İlhanlı, Seljuk, Ottoman and Republican years ect. of Turkey) Two other sites, Üç Kümbetler (Three Vaults) and Erzurum Castle operate in connection with the Erzurum Museum Directorate.